Organic UndiesMay 14, 2012 No Comments
If you truly care about the environment, chances are you have done your part to shop locally and organically when it comes to your food and maybe even some of your household goods. But when is the last time you opened your underwear drawer and thought “I should probably buy organic undies!” My guess is, probably never. Well guess what.. they exist.
It might just seem a little odd at first to buy something so private as underwear organically but organic underwear are just like any other organic product – the main focus is to use naturally grown materials, no chemical products and to reduce your footprint. But like many organic products, there are both pros and cons to the matter that should be considered before buying.
- Obviously, they are better for the environment.
- Buying organic reduces demand for inorganic underwear which releases chemical into the environment via production.
- Organic undies are often softer then normal underwear because they are free of chemical by-products.
The drawer-backs (pun intended):
- The overall cost (like any organic anything) can be much greater than normal underwear because they are not mass produced – a problem that can be solved by gradually increasing the demand for such product.
- It is possible that they could wear down easier then traditional underwear which can be super irritating if you have already paid more for the material.
- Most importantly, the company might be misleading about how organic the product is. Just because the package says organic, it does not mean all materials that went into the underwear’s creation were of organic creation.
The best solution is to do your research. When buying anything organic, know the company, know what they stand for and know where the money goes. If they aren’t harming the environment, they might be doing other harmful activities with the profits.
So.. want to buy some eco friendly undies? Do you think this is a ridiculous idea? Tell us about it!
Written by Myranda Harnage
Carbon Footprint, Everything Environmental, Leafy Tips