Interesting Eco TipsMay 21, 2012 No Comments
We all know the basic ideas behind being eco friendly – turn off electricity when not in use, use less water, recycle, etc. But there are still a vast number of ideas out there that may not come to you on a daily basis. It’s always a great idea to incorporate quick and easy eco friendly routines into your daily life because once you start, it will be hard to stop. I’ve bulleted below a short list of environmentally conscious ideas to consider making a part of your daily life.
- Drive slower with the proper level of tire inflation. The speed limits aren’t around just to be annoying, they actually can keep your fuel consumption to a minimum. The same goes for proper tire inflation. Regularly checking your tires insures your vehicle will work at its maximum efficiency level and you will buy fewer tires, helping to use less materials.
- If you are a smoker, stop. Other than the obvious health benefits, quitting smoking helps the environment. It may not have a huge impact on the environment, but it is a leading cause of indoor pollution, affecting not only you but your loved ones.
- Stop using pesticides on your lawn. I know bugs can kill a beautiful garden but the pesticides you use can seep into the natural ground water and kill a lot more.
- If you have a cat, keep it indoors. Each domestic cat kills, on average, 40 small birds and other animals on an annual basis. Killing these birds and animals can upset a natural balance for the environment and disallows these small animals to aid nature in its survival.
- Plant trees with children. Planting new trees not only restores some CO2 levels, but if you do this regularly with a child or a group of children and make it fun and educational, it will teach the future generation a very important lesson about the environment and their future.
For more unusual tips, visit Ecology Fund and let us know if you have any other ideas to make the environment strong.
Written by Myranda Harnage
Carbon Footprint, Everything Environmental, Leafy Tips