How to Reduce Waste When Eating at RestaurantsAugust 15, 2011 No Comments
At home, Eco conscious folks go to great lengths to conserve food, energy, and reduce our disposables at every meal. But how does that work when you’re traveling? Sometimes you just have to eat out and we all know how much food can be wasted just by one restaurant meal. Here are some simple tips for both sit-down and fast food restaurants to help you decrease the restaurant waste.
• Only order what you will eat. This can be hard but a lot of food is wasted at restaurants by individuals whom order more than they can handle.
• Bring your own containers for leftovers (in case you’re not good at only ordering what you will eat.) The containers from restaurants just go straight to the trash when you get home. What’s the point?
• Bring your own water bottle. Just like the take home containers, soda cups are used for such a small period of time that’s it’s not worth it.
• If they are old enough ask for real cups for the kids or bring a sippy cup from home. If you happen to get a disposable cup, take it home and put it in with the beach or bath toys.
• Take home unused napkins or crayons, which come with the kids menu. Neither of these are ever reused.
Out of all the recycling tips I have read, these seem like the easiest. Some of the tips such as taking the extra napkins and bring your own water bottle are things I have always done but I honestly didn’t realize how helpful they were for the environment. How you don’t any these tips? Was it easy or hard for you?
Written by: Craila Nixon